Thursday, December 27, 2012

Kenny & Zuke's: Pastrami Heaven

Last year, I used to come here to eat the Pastrami Burger, almost every Thursday for a few months. Not so much anymore, but it is definitely still my favorite place to eat. After months of not eating here, their meals tastes better and I got the chance to try different dishes. The first time I came here, I never heard such thing as "PASTRAMI", probably because I grew up in Asia.

Kenny and Zuke's is a Delicatessen owned by Nick Zukin and Ken Gordon. They felt that there were not that much Jewish food and more particularly Pastrami in Portland, OR. They started their business at a little farmer's market in Hillsdale, then got popular and was expanded to a standing room for brunch only at Ken's old restaurant, Ken's Place. And finally, not long after that, they finally decided to open a proper Delicatessen that bears the name Kenny and Zuke's.




Chicken Noodle Soup (Choice of Noodles or Matzoh Balls) (USD $6.95)
I believe it was their soup of the day. We shared this bowl of soup with the other 3 people. To me, it tasted a bit too salty, but I couldn't stop sipping it. The rye on the side was so good especially when you dip it into the soup first. This was an appetizer, YUM!


Latkes* (USD $7.95)
Everything marked (*) is a vegetarian dish and this was it. It was my first time eating this kind of dish and it was interesting. This was under Delicacies, those brownish-crispy-looking-thing are potato pancakes. It was my first time seeing a potato pancake that's why I was tempted to try it again on my next visit. The yellowish-color sauce on the side is apple sauce. At first it's weird to eat something savory with something sweet, but people do eat turkey meat with strawberry jam right? The white sauce right beside it is Sour Cream, spread them both on your potato pancakes, and you'll want more!


Pastrami Benedict (USD $12.45)
This was probably the best dish I've ordered here because it is a combination of the two things I love. Nothing sounds better to me than 'Egg Benedict and Pastrami'. Hash-brown on the side, Pastrami, Eggs Benedict, and Hollandaise Sauce. I think the best part about this meal is the Hollandaise sauce, which is the mustard-color sauce on this dish. It is an emulsion of egg yolk and butter, yum!


The Classic Reuben (USD $13.45)
A basic pastrami and swiss sandwich with potato salad and pickles on the side. If you were looking for something simple and delicious, this might be good for you. This meal is definitely shareable because of size of its portion, good for 1-2 people. The rye or bread is crispy and the cheese is melted to the pastrami. Definitely one of my favorite dish! You can choose the meat for your sandwich; pastrami or corned beef.



Pastrami on Rye (USD $12.45)
This is probably the simplest pastrami dish they have. The name of the dish says it all. The french fries were so crispy and the sauce on the side tastes something similar to Thousand Island, I never liked a sauce this much except mayonnaise. It was something like Thousand Island and or tartar sauce for fish and chips, somewhere around there. It was hard for me to distinguish the taste of pastrami and corned beef, which is the next and last dish.


Corned Beef Sandwiches (USD $11.95)
This is corned beef sandwich with potato salad on the side and the yummy unknown sauce, again. It was hard for me to distinguish which one's which, but I remember ordering the potato salad with the corned beef and fries with the pastrami. The corned beef tasted a little saltier than pastrami,  but the texture feels the same to me. Though now I realize that pastrami looks a bit darker than corned beef, but they both tastes amazing to me.

Kenny and Zuke's is closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas but open on all other holidays. They also serve Happy Hour on Monday through Friday from 3:00pm - 6:00pm, see the menu here.

HOURS
Monday - Thursday: 7:00am - 8:00pm
Friday: 7:00am - 10:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 8:00am - 8:00pm

*Happy Hour Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm

They can get pretty crowded at times, you can contact them to know the wait time and they do take calls and reservation for parties of 8 or larger for dinner services. They don't take reservations for brunch.

Kenny and Zuke's*
1038 SW Stark St
Portland, OR 97205
503-222-DELI (3354)

Kenny & Zuke's
3901 N Williams Ave
Portland, OR 97212
503-287-0782

You might also like:

KZ Bagelworks
2376 NW Thurman
Portland, OR 97210
503-954-1737

(*) Place I went to

No comments:

Post a Comment